Hello there, internet denizen. This was once a page that held an explanation about “The Word of Joe”. At one time years ago, The Word of Joe was a mock bible of sorts with rules that I followed or decrees I had made, all in jest*. However, what it’s about to be now is a list of rules that I live my life by. I hope you enjoy them, or whatever. I don’t care.
- Always be as honest as you possibly can be. Omit details if you absolutely must, but never lie about them.
- Communication is impossibly important in all of your relationships. Co-workers, managers, friends, family, and lovers especially, should always be in the know on things that are important.
- Be loyal to those who are loyal to you. Never betray them even when they betray you. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. However, you may abandon the loyalty when it becomes harmful, but be mindful to not harm back.
- Be of your word. If you say you’ll do something, do it to the best of your ability. No exceptions. Never make excuses, but instead do better. One day your word may be all you have left. It should mean something.
- Love is about appreciation, not possession. You do not own those you love, and you should always allow them their freedom. Never fail to appreciate them, and encourage them to grow. (Inspired by this.)
- People are people. They all deserve love and respect. Always be kind, unless it conflicts too harshly with Rule 1. You never know what people are going through and your kindness may be what keeps them from ending it.
- Always be as generous as your situation allows. Don’t let your friends starve if you can help it. Give away excess and always pay favors back or forward, depending on the situation.
- Do not compare yourself to others’ images. Reality and fiction rarely reflect each other. You should never look into your neighbor’s bowl unless it’s to make sure they have enough.
- Stay humble, always. The only person you should ever be better than is the person you were the day before. Always seek self-improvement and empowerment, but never think you’re above anyone.
- Own your mistakes. This ties in with Rule 4. Admit them, apologize if necessary, and fix them.
- Own your shortcomings. If they can change, change them. This ties in with Rule 9.
- The failure or the fall is not what’s important. What’s important is what you do afterwards.
- Ask for help or clarification if you need it. There is no shame in not knowing something. No one person knows everything.
- If you are unsatisfied with where you are in life, work to change it. Figure out what you need to do, formulate a multiple small step plan to achieve it, and just do it. It won’t be easy, but it will be worth it.
- Never stand in the way of someone’s self improvement. Instead, always offer encouragement and support. Help them if they ask, but don’t let them take advantage of you.
- Forgive as many transgressions against you as you can. Never forget them, however, and once you’ve reached your limit, stop forgiving. At that point, they’ve begun to take advantage of you. Never tolerate that.
*At some point, I plan on going back on my Twitter timeline and grabbing the random tweets and republishing them here, below the rules.